SAQA ID: 23253
NQF: Level 01
Duration: 12 months
This course is accredited: MERSETA – Manufacturing, Engineering and Related Services Education
and Training Authority
This qualification specifies the key skills, knowledge and values required to access engineering and
manufacturing qualifications in the Further Education and Training Band. It describes the learning
outcomes required to participate in workplace-based learning programmes for occupationally
focused qualifications in the manufacturing, engineering and assembly sectors.
It provides learners who have no formal qualification with an opportunity for assessment to
Recognise prior learning.
Identify gaps, and
Structure learning programmes to close those gaps. The learning required for these learners would
be what is typically included in ABET learning programmes.
Who must do this Qualification?
For learners who have formal school qualifications but no work experience, this qualification
specifies the necessary knowledge, skills and values required to participate learning processes within
a formal work environment. Typically, these outcomes reflect the learning outcomes that would be
achieved at the end of an extensive induction and orientation process.
This qualification would enable both kinds of learners to establish an understanding of, and to
make some preliminary choices about:
A career and learning pathways.
The content and requirements of the qualifications and unit standards which would form the basis
of their learning, as well as have
Knowledge and understanding of assessment processes, including Recognition of Prior Learning.
Learners accessing this qualification are assumed to be competent in
- Collect, analyse, use and communicate numerical data
- Assess the impact of scientific innovation on quality of life
- Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of science
- Work with patterns in various contexts
- Working with numbers in various contexts
- Describe, represent and interpret mathematical models in different contexts
- Critically analyse how mathematics is used in social, political and economic relations
- Describe and discuss basic issues relating to the nature of business, the stakeholders in a business
and business profitability